Mark's World of motorbikes, cars and stuff...: Triple with a drink problem

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Triple with a drink problem

After taking the Triple out a couple of times, it was obvious it had a problem with drink. It would only do 90 miles per tank of fuel, compared with 120-130 miles in my last Speed Triple and the more recent Daytona! The end of the exhaust was also looking a bit sooty.

I plugged the bike into TuneECU and it reported a fault for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). TuneECU gives you the option to reset the TPS, which I should have done after having the bike in bits and reassembling it really. While I had TuneECU connected, I checked the fuelling map and found that it was running the standard tune but with the race pipe. I uploaded an appropriate map, reset the TPS and let the bike run for a while. The TPS fault didn't come back so I put the bike back together and took the bike out for a run. All seemed fine until I stopped and the idle speed was sitting a bit high. if I opened the throttle very slightly (barely moving it), the revs would die. If I opened it more, the revs would recover. If I allowed the throttle to snap shut after having it open, all was well. It was as if the throttle was sticking slightly at very small openings. I checked the twist grip and cable and all appeared to be ok. I plugged it back into TuneECU and the TPS fault had come back. Time to pull the bike to bits once again  :o/

After taking the bike apart, I found the problem. To correctly fit the TPS, the throttle bodies need to be removed, the sensor fitted and then the whole assembly re-fitted. Somebody had decided not to do this and had cut off the lugs which secure the TPS in position, so they could slide it down between the frame and the throttle bodies, without removing them!! This meant that the sensor was actually fine, but was able to move on the end of the throttle bodies so was giving weird readings and making it look like the throttle was open/closed when it wasn't! This could have been nasty if it had stuck wide open!!

So, in what was the nicest 2 weeks of 2012, my bike was in bits (again), waiting for a replacement TPS to arrive.

Thankfully, once this arrived and was fitted, the bike ran like a dream and all traces of faults in TuneECU had gone away.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter